lost in the moonlight

my blessing tonight is solitude... and i'd gladly do without it
my closest friend is my enemy,
staring through the mirror at me
daring me to search but never find
to leave my home and lock the door behind
reminding me to throw away the key
to vanish from the world's sight
to get lost in the moonlight

my curse tonight is identity... and i'd like to forget about it
the murmurs of my lonely heart
are loathe to keep the two apart:
the one who's driven to seek me out
and i, the one who clings to doubt
yet i can't believe that love could be my right
so i'll sleep by day, walk alone by night
my smile lost in the moonlight

my life tonight is in others... and i hope they forgive me for it
selflessness says, as my only guide,
"it's always worth the pain and pride
to be incomplete for completion's sake
to put the self to sleep, and never wake
to live out life, yet die inside
to act as though you might
like to be lost in the moonlight"

my true face tonight is in hiding... and i'll never truly miss it
a star close by might reveal my grin-
or maybe it will find my sin
my friends tell me i cannot run;
their laughter invites me into the sun,
to meet the me i could've been...
but if i have to be alone tonight
i'd rather be lost in the moonlight

destiny, dream, or dying man's delight,
to wander lost in the moonlight?

No comments: