sleeping forever

oblivion, claim me, and don't ever wake me; my
dreaming's more real than the world where i'm from. friends,
write me from time to time-- you'll never find me. you
probly won't recognize what i've become:

sleeping forever, untouched by whatever may
open my eyes to the bright light of life
sleeping forever, so lost in a dream, never
greeting the dawn again; please, i have never been
happier than when i'm sleeping again

something's been teasing my mind, something playful, a
sound like a game i would rather not play. some-
one has been calling for me to return, but i
pray i can stay, unaware night and day

keep me forgetful, at home in the void
darker my mind every moment of time
passing me by, all my chances to be me; just
leave me alone to my slumber sublime

sleeping forever; no, never awakening
taking my own life without ever dying. i
know i'm alone while i'm sleeping forever, but
truly, i've not known a better good-bye

1 comment:

kejalo said...

every time I read this, it bring about the same kind of feeling: wanting to hug you.

I guess that was probably a littler weirder sounding when I said it the first time I saw it on ms, as we hadn't talked very much at that point. but still...

I think it bring this reaction for two main reasons: one is that I find this piece to be hauntingly beautiful (as I said), but in that haunting is a very melancholy tone. it hits the empatheticness you say I have at its core; therefore, the urge to provide comfort is rather strong. and when I'm down, sometimes a hug from the right person can completely turn my day around... or at least make it better. even if I can't cry with someone else (meaning being there with them, physically), getting that kind of hug is something difficult to put into words...

and the other reason I think might be possible also derives from the word hauntingly. it's a lot more feeling-based than the other, I guess is one way to put it, and that's why I hesitated to mention it (it sounds rather... silly, I think). but when I think of something haunting, it's less than corporeal; sort of... flighty, hard to connect with. but if a person or their mood affects you as such... well, it's almost as if by holding on you can keep a semblence of them anchored to the ground. and in this, it seems as though you want to... slip away, disappear; and I wouldn't want that (here's where it gets personal).

you've become a fair-sized part of my life over the last few months. if you disappeared, I don't know how that would affect me. even though you're only an IM presence, you're still the only one who's truly walking with me, as you've said. so if suddenly, you weren't there...

despite all that, I still really like sleeping forever... something about it resonates within me, though I can't explain it...