stranger

I live in a place where normal is best;
The unusual isn't accepted.
The typical guy is always preferred,
The average is always expected.

The slightest of changes in an unchanging world
Is treated with malice and scorn.
The faces of those who call themselves 'normal'
Look down on the unnaturally born.

I live in a world filled with average people,
Where men of my type don't belong.
They frown at the grin on my unearthly face
As I belt out my falsetto song:

"John Myers' face is a halibut's spleen!
Mac-and-Cheese bubbles are being invaded!
The Blue Ball of Fuzz is a symbol of pride;
It reminds us of horse-poopy roads we've paraded!"

I wish I could leave, and go to a world
Where outrageous is better than plain;
The people would love me, if there were such a place.
They'd worship me, strange and insane.

Often I dream of that wonderful place,
Where monkeys and blue poodles wander...

...Then I awake, and the vision is gone, but
Absence makes my heart grow fonder.

One day I'll set out for that other dimension,
On perilous roads, fraught with danger.
But though I am scared, I'll cherish the day
When my title is no longer Stranger.

I enjoy being Stranger; I've never complained.
I'm content to just live, and to wait.
But sometimes I wish, when they call me names,
That they wouldn't address me with hate.

I've got more than one title. I'm not just the Stranger,
But also the Alien from space.
They call me a Weirdo, an Unnatural Freak,
Outcast from a non-human race.

I can't wait to be home, where everyone loves me;
Of course, they will still call me names.
But when they say, "Peculiar," they'll be wearing a smile
That says I can live without shame.

Highly irregular! I've always been alled.
The Extra-Terrestrial Guest!
But when I am welcomed at the place I belong,
They'll give me a new title:

Strangest.

No comments: